Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pax Burgerana


There has been a myth doing the rounds since the late 1990s, which links the location of wars around the world to the availability of greasy American franchised burgers.

The line goes like this: there have been no wars between any two countries which both have a McDonalds restaurant at the time of the conflict.

It's called the Golden Arches Theory of Conflict Prevention.

The rationale being that, once a country is stable, 'sophisticated', capitalist, and 'western' enough to support a Maccas, it will refrain from the silliness of war.

Pure, unadulterated, pro-American bollocks.

I encountered this urban legend again today, when a letter to the editor in the Sydney Morning Herald pointed out that the recent Georgia-Russia war was the first two-Maccas conflict.

I couldn't quite believe this was true, so I looked into some recent wars, and then looked at whether they both had a McDonalds at the time they were kicking the shit out of each other.

Here's the results. I have given the year of the war, followed by the two nations, with the years that they got their first Maccas in brackets. I think you'll agree that all of the following count as wars.

2008: Russia (1990) and Georgia (1999)
2006: Israel (1993) and Lebanon (1998)
1999: India (1996) and Pakistan (1998)
1999: Serbia (1988) and USA/NATO (1940)
1989: USA (1940) and Panama (1971)

Big Macs don't stop wars, I'm afraid.

I wonder when we'll have our first war instigated by McDonalds? The Great Hamburger War of 2044 will be a whopper, I'm sure. Sorry, bad pun.

2 comments:

Sam Cox said...

Damn, wish it were true. Mds are all over this region. UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait and Saudi all have them. Only one of my neighbours missing one is Iran. Come to think of it, if this was true wouldn't Iran be frantically building McDonalds restaurants?

Random McDonalds anecdote I heard yesterday from a Frenchman as we had lunch in a foodcourt:

"Over in France the McDonalds is the best of all the fast foods, the best quality. But when I was in America I realised that this is where all the homeless eat."

hahahah

Anonymous said...

KFC doesn't either.. India and Pakistan...

You just can't control mans pride..